Hi Simon,

I recently got my IPSec tunnel up and running using Bering 1.1.  I had a few
problems as well, but they were due to my not COMPLETELY following the
instructions that Tom wrote.  I made a couple of assumptions about the
ipsec.conf file and my tunnel didn't work until I went back and read the
docs again.  I did not have to create any additional rule sets in Shorewall.
The documents at http://shorewall.net/IPSEC.htm and http://jixen.tripod.com
were extremely helpful and got the whole thing up and running once I
followed the instructions to the letter. :-)

My set up is a LAN-to-LAN tunnel using RSA keys.

HTH -- Ken