Hello Jeff,

Am 08:21 2003-06-20 -0700 hat Jeff Newmiller geschrieben:

>On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Michelle Konzack wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I was vor some years on the original LRP-Mailinglists and
>> now I have joined the leaf-project...
>>
>> First I have a problem, because most of older 486 does not
>> support othe FD formats as 1440 kBytes...
>
>I dispute your claim of "most"... Windows95 was originally distributed by
>Microsoft on 1680k floppies.  Do you really think they would have done

;-))

>that if any significant number of computers they were targeting (486 was
>most common then) would not be able to read them?

I use LRP/DOF in the east or turkia, iran and syria ;-))

The computers are older then Win95 ;-))

I run for example a VLB-Mainboard with a Cyrix Cx486dx40 and four
4 MB SIM Modules... The Bios and the Floppy drives can not handel
more then 1.44 MBytes. (must use LRP 2.9.4 or DOF 2.1)

>> Question:       Which Version of FD-Router must/can I use  ?
>
>I recommend trying a couple.  You will need to read the documenation for
>whichever ones you use, because there are significant differences from LRP
>in all of them.  Bering, Dachstein and Oxygen are all still somewhat
>floppy-oriented, with Bering having most activity here recently.

I have seen the ftp site and they are Dino-Files from Jurasic Parc ;-))
Curently I have no Internet at home...
only in an Internet-Cafe, so downloading is not possibel for me...

>> P.S.:   I am hacking on my 2.4.19 Router image...
>>         And running into trouble because ulibc does not support
>>         somthing I need and libc6 is tooooooooooooooooooo big !
>
>Yes, constraining yourself to one and only one 1440k floppy is bound to be
>challenging.  As for "libc6", that covers at least glibc2.0, glibc2.1, and
>glibc2.2, in order of increasing capability and size.  Bering and

I use 2.2.5

>Dachstein use glibc2.0, same as LRP.  I haven't seen much activity on

Oh yes, I use the 2.0 on DOF 2.1 without any changes...

>>         My kernel has curently 474 kBytes and I call my distri
>>         'Debian On Floppy v3.0' (but v2.1 and v2.2 exist too)
>>
>>         Sorry, curently I am very Off-Line and I have no wesite.
>
>Welcome back.  I think there are many advantages to using a LEAF distro,
>but I also feel I should point out that you may be closer to your goal
>using your own distro than you think... once you recognize that one 1440

Hmmm, I have seen, leaf continue to use the *.lrp ;-))
I was switching to *.dof because of "Debian On Floppy"

Oh yes, my root.dof is around 1200 kBytes :-( (the Tyranosaurus Rex)

>floppy is just too small. Larger formats, flash disks, and even old hard

I love my CF-Cards...

using an IDE CF-Controller which is connected tirectly to the IDE-Cable
and has 16 MBytes... works like the heaven...

Around 22 Euro for the CF-Adapter and 8 Euro for the 16 MB CF-Card.
(17 Euro for 64 MByte)

>disks can all be used to reach your goals, and if you scrounge some newer
>computers, CD-R has been used a lot, and even USB flash disks.

This is no solution for me, because the old Computers I MUST USE !!!

have a nice Day
Michelle