I've tried 2 different sets of ISA 3C509 cards, get the same problems. I'm
not sure the cards are setup right. My ioports shows this for the cards:

0300-030f : 3c509

My interrupts shows:
           CPU0
  0:     128443          XT-PIC  timer
  1:        881          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  6:        227          XT-PIC  floppy
  8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
NMI:          0
ERR:          0

How does everyone else use these cards? Boot into DOS to use the
configuration utility to figure out io and irq? I wasn't able to get the
information from the BIOS output during startup. How do I pass the io and
irq to the 3C509 cards in the module configuration?

ip link show does not show a line for eth1.

My interface file shows:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

and