"Somerlot, Chris" wrote:

> I've tried 2 different sets of ISA 3C509 cards, get the same problems. I'm
> not sure the cards are setup right. My ioports shows this for the cards:
>
> 0300-030f : 3c509
>
> My interrupts shows:
>            CPU0
>   0:     128443          XT-PIC  timer
>   1:        881          XT-PIC  keyboard
>   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>   6:        227          XT-PIC  floppy
>   8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
> NMI:          0
> ERR:          0
>
> How does everyone else use these cards? Boot into DOS to use the
> configuration utility to figure out io and irq? I wasn't able to get the
> information from the BIOS output during startup. How do I pass the io and
> irq to the 3C509 cards in the module configuration?

If you don't happen to have the 3c5x9cfg.exe utility you can find it
here:

http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/3c509/3c5096.1.htm

which is a 2 disk package. Extract the contents from disk 2 and you'll
find it there. Boot into DOS and run the utility, choose an appropiate
range somewhere between 0x200-0x3xx. In /etc/modules you should just
have to insert io=0x200,0x300 next to 3c509 as I remember it. I don't
know if Bering's kernel 2.4.x needs any extra parameters, that's how I
did it with the ne module with a 2.2.x kernel. I have been using one
3c509 card since '97 without a hitch...

Good luck,
--
Patrick Benson