At 05:13 PM 6/26/2003 +0200, Patrick Benson wrote:
"Somerlot, Chris" wrote:

> I've tried 2 different sets of ISA 3C509 cards, get the same problems. I'm
> not sure the cards are setup right.

DId you try my suggestion of testing the cards one at a time, always in the same isa slot? Assuming eth0 always gets configured, this will let you use /proc/interrupts and /proc/ioports to find out the settings for each card. I really do not know any other way to get this information using Linux (I suggested yesterday the ways that use the BIOS and DOS).

My ioports shows this for the cards:

> 0300-030f : 3c509

This is good. It is a fairly standard io location for an ISA NIC. If it is the only entry for a 3c509, and you checked it when both cards were in the system, it hints at the possibility that both NICs are set for the same ioport, a setting you will *have* to change with the DOS-based config utility Patrick references.

(Other possibilities remain too. Did you check the "shared slot" problem I mentioned yesterday?)

> My interrupts shows: > CPU0 > 0: 128443 XT-PIC timer > 1: 881 XT-PIC keyboard > 2: 0 XT-PIC cascade > 6: 227 XT-PIC floppy > 8: 1 XT-PIC rtc > NMI: 0 > ERR: 0 >

Chris -- I am confused by this report. Though you show an ioport for the NIC, you do not show an IRQ for it. If this report is from a system that has a configured eth0 -- as your messages from yesterday imply it should be -- I am at a loss to understand how this system is functioning at all. Please clarify. (Maybe you need to ping something as well, so the IRQ will be used.)

Second, as I said yesterday, my memory of the 3c509 driver is a bit hazy. But I believe it autodetects (properly configured) NICs and does NOT use the io= argument Patrick suggests below. The ne module Patrick uses is different from 3c509 in this respect; it has poor (some would say nonexistant) autodetect capability, and it does make use of the io= argument.

> How does everyone else use these cards? Boot into DOS to use the
> configuration utility to figure out io and irq?

Back when I used these cards, this is exactly what I did ... except it was to *set* the IRQ and IO values, not "figure out" what they were. (In those days, NICs commonly came factory-set for the same values as DOS's COM2 (irq 3, io 2f8) so had to be reset to work even 1 per system.)

 I wasn't able to get the
> information from the BIOS output during startup.

Why not?

 How do I pass the io and
> irq to the 3C509 cards in the module configuration?

You don't. Modules do NOT set card irq and io values; they detect them.

The 3c509 module uses the values that the cards are set for, if they are valid values. If they are not valid values, it simply fails to find them.

If you don't happen to have the 3c5x9cfg.exe utility you can find it
here:

http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/3c509/3c5096.1.htm

which is a 2 disk package. Extract the contents from disk 2 and you'll
find it there. Boot into DOS and run the utility, choose an appropiate
range somewhere between 0x200-0x3xx. In /etc/modules you should just
have to insert io=0x200,0x300 next to 3c509 as I remember it. I don't
know if Bering's kernel 2.4.x needs any extra parameters, that's how I
did it with the ne module with a 2.2.x kernel. I have been using one
3c509 card since '97 without a hitch...

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: INetU Attention Web Developers & Consultants: Become An INetU Hosting Partner. Refer Dedicated Servers. We Manage Them. You Get 10% Monthly Commission! INetU Dedicated Managed Hosting http://www.inetu.net/partner/index.php ------------------------------------------------------------------------ leaf-user mailing list: [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/leaf-user SR FAQ: http://leaf-project.org/pub/doc/docmanager/docid_1891.html