> OK I'll try, I just found out there are multiple versions in my
> various
> deployed systems and as they don't have a version stamp I cannot
> know
> what you have.

I'm running Bering uClibc 3.1.

> My home system looks like the latest in Bering 4 and works indeed.
> One
> system at a remote location had a line starting with 'source' and
> this
> is a wrong keyword for that specific version of busybox. So if you
> have
> that version

I appear not to have it.

> Anyway I tested with my home gateway and here is the first result
>
> gatekeeper# mail -s foo -h 194.124.158.51 erich.t...@think.ch
> hostname: gatekeeper: Unknown host
>
> Debugging shell scripts is pretty easy....
>
> gatekeeper# which mail
> /usr/sbin/mail
> gatekeeper# sh -x /usr/sbin/mail -s foo -h 194.124.158.51
> erich.t...@think.ch
> + prog=mail
> + OIFS=
>
> + CR=
> + LF=
>
> + MASTCONF=/etc/POSIXness.conf
> + [ -f /etc/POSIXness.conf ]
> + . /etc/POSIXness.conf
> + TIMEOUT=60
> + date +%s
> + ContentBoundry=11733--1307998981
> + ptx=/tmp/smtp.tx.11733
> + prx=/tmp/smtp.rx.11733
> + fdata=/tmp/smtp.data.11733
> + fbody=/tmp/smtp.body.11733
> + [ -e /tmp/smtp.rx.11733 ]
> + [ -e /tmp/smtp.tx.11733 ]
> + [ -e /tmp/smtp.data.11733 ]
> + [ -e /tmp/smtp.body.11733 ]
> + mknod /tmp/smtp.tx.11733 p
> + mknod /tmp/smtp.rx.11733 p
> + :
> + :
> + chmod 600 /tmp/smtp.tx.11733 /tmp/smtp.rx.11733
> /tmp/smtp.data.11733
> /tmp/smtp.body.11733
> + hostname -f
> hostname: gatekeeper: Unknown host

<..snip..>

> >From foo...@mydomain.net  Mon Jun 13 23:35:01 2011
> Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 21:34:54 +0000
> From: foo...@mydomain.net
> Subject: foobar
> To: erich.t...@think.ch
> 4.2.3
> (luna.think.ch [194.124.158.51]); Mon, 13 Jun 2011 23:35:01 +0200
> (CEST)
>
> scoobly oobly doobab

My mail script appears to function as expected. It outputs all the
correct value for each of the required variables and then awaits
additional input for the mail message body. The trouble is- I do not
know how to end it normally. In FreeBSD, I use a period as the first and
only character followed by a carriage return on a line in order to
complete the message body input. This doesn't appear to work the same
way in Bering. What is the Linux busybox mail equivalent?

Ah, never mind- I googled and found an entry using Ctrl + D as the mail
message body break. It now functions as expected.

Thanks.

~Doug