Not a big fan of cron, I think something textual might be better.
Plus minutes don't matter and you can't do everything with cron ("second
tuesday of every month").

You might also want to have a look at Wes McKinney's Pandas periodicity
spec as well:
http://pandas.pydata.org/pandas-docs/dev/timeseries.html#dateoffset-objects

Also, look at how Google Calendar allows you to repeat events.

More important than this is the problem of defining what it means to
generate new transactions for forecasting.
My take on this is that forecasting transactions should only get generated
past the existing history.
In other words, the system should be smart enough to only insert
transactions that live "in the future", for some definition of what "the
future" is. For me, "the last balance assertion of all the accounts from
its postings" should be a good-enough definition.

Also, one has to recognize that auto-generated forecast transactions are an
approximate tool to estimate the future. They need to be treated as such,
and not as a way to avoid data entry. I personally have not a single use
case of a repeated transaction that is exactly as planned for all of its
occurrences. The most regular is my apt. rent, perhaps, and even then,
there are some exceptions here and there, some fees or corrections that
make it irregular. I can't imagine people have many exactly regular
transactions either, the real world just isn't that square.