The initial impetus was the difficulty in keeping GnuCash running happily
on MacOS, despite the efforts of the fine folks at MacPorts. [1]  In an
interesting synchronicity, the most recent problem caused GnuCash to crash
any time I tried to open the scheduled transaction editor.  :-)  This sort
of thing (including that specific failure mode) has happened before, so
I've decided not run GnuCash on MacOS any more and am now making do with an
Ubuntu virtual machine, until I can get a replacement for GnuCash in
place.  (That should continue to work basically indefinitely, but I find
working in VMs to be annoying and prefer to do so as little as possible.)

More generally, I'm not a fan of GnuCash's bulk -- and since I have
MacPorts configured to build everything from source on one of my computers
(for reasons that have nothing to do with GnuCash), a GnuCash upgrade often
takes a really long time.  (Any time I have to rebuild webkit-gtk, I know
it's going to be a while.)

I also like Ledger's use of a more human-readable data file format, because
it works better with version control and particuarly merging and conflict
resolution.  (I do keep my Gnucash files, uncompressed, in version control,
but I don't know of a version control system that really handles XML data
particularly well -- certainly the odd merge and conflict have been pretty
painful to resolve, both under SVN and Mercurial.)  Of course, XML does
have benefits -- in particular, I may yet reach a point when I'm tired of
migrating data using the 10-fingered-transfer method and start trying to
programmatically convert the XML.  (At least it's 10 fingers, and not just
2!)

Richard

[1] Given that ragging on MacPorts is fashionable in certain quarters, I
should point out that this isn't irony; I'm generally quite happy with
their system.