Stay away from virtual postings, they break the accounting equation. You
never need to use them, period. They are a crutch that misleads many into
not figuring things out. Beancount doesn't even support them and I've doing
everything without so far without problems (though it has forced me to
learn bookkeeping).

I see at least two ways of accounting for shared expenses:

1. The simple way: You can simply create a Liabilities account. When you
book a shared expense, you book a portion of it to the liabilities account,
e.g.

2015-12-11 * "CON EDISON       ONLINE PMT"
  Assets:US:Checking                                              -46.51 USD
  Liabilities:AccountsPayable:Caroline                              46.51/2
USD
  Expenses:Home:Electricity

You can then share the account on that liabilities account with your
partner. Cut-n-pasting from the web interface into gmail preserves the HTML
so that's one easy way share the balance details. However much your
roommate/partner owes is the balance of that account.

It's really convenient because you can use that account for a variety of
purposes. It effectively separates the "counting" and the "payment".
Counting occurs off the liabilities account; payments occur off the
balance, paid to the account.

2. You can create a separate book. I used to do this for joint expenses and
assets. I describe this here in much detail in the context of a trip but
you can do the same thing, continuously:

http://furius.ca/beancount/doc/sharing

This uses a plugin to split up shared expenses easily, but you can do it
manually too.

As for using virtual units to track only a portion of amounts where you
feel you need "virtual" units or "virtual postings", the technique you can
use that doesn't break the accounting equation is to use a mirror currency
instead. I've described this a number of times on this list. There's even a
plugin to automate that method in Beancount. Look for mirror accounting in
the archives.

http://furius.ca/beancount/doc/sharing