On 1/4/16 2:15 PM, John Wiegley wrote:

>> Stay away from virtual postings, they break the accounting equation. You
>> never need to use them, period.
>
> I disagree with this statement. I've used them to good effect in the past.
> There are times when you need a bit of flexibility to get exactly the kind of
> reports you want. It's not all about accounting, or honoring the accounting
> equation; it's about managing finances the way a Ledger user wants to. I think
> this pretty much sums up the core philosophical divide between beancount and
> Ledger.

So this is interesting timing, I was thinking of using virtual postings to
track budget amounts.
Specifically, when I have a credit card expense, I have a posting such as:

2016/01/01 Fix the thing
    Expenses:Thing                     $20.00
    Liabilities:Credit Card:Pursuit   $-20.00

What I have been doing as an experiment is to add in something additional:

2016/01/01 Fix the thing
    Expenses:Thing                     $20.00
    Liabilities:Credit Card:Pursuit   $-20.00
    Budget:Pursuit                     $20.00
    Assests:Checking                  $-20.00

So that way I can see what my checking balance will be when I pay the bill for
the Pursuit card.
This way I can see the balance of the checking account afterwards. I can't see
it before, which is annoying.
And, when I pay off the bill (directly from Checking), I have to go back and
delete all those additional lines.
Ugh.
So, I was thinking why not use virtual postings?

Or is there a better way?

Thanks to John for such a cool tool, and Martin for having an alternative.

-=Doug