Greetings

I deplore top posting but as I have little specific (albeit general I
do) to say to what is described I will post separately.

Before any comments, I am not an accountant nor an expert on ledger
nor any other record keeping type program!

Even before I got married a number of years ago I found it necessary
to track expenses and all the other goodies for the number of small
entities (not companies by formal incorporation but by activity) and
in the process came up with this solution that is not simple but does
do the job, and I think well.

I started from the GIFI codes (both the USA and Canada use them but
they do somewhat differently). They are a 4 digit code for use by
incorporated entities for reporting financial information to taxation
entities.

What I did was add further digits, like this - - xxxx.yy.yy.yy   use
it something like this (using and asset account followed by an expense
account to illustrate). (I'm not sure all 6 digits are necessary but
that was my design choice.)

Asset account
1002.60.40.01

1002 - - - designates Deposits in Canadian banks and institutions -
in Canadian currency
.60 - - -  designates a particular institution
.40 - - - - designates a personal savings account (same number is used
 with all the different institutions)
.01 - - - designates a particular savings account (some institutions
have multiple accounts available

Expense account
9763.10.01.02

9763 - - -  designates Machinery repairs (Agricultural equipment would
be a different number for a non-farm business)
.10 - - - - designates vehicles
.01 - - - - designates trucks
.02 - - - - designates a particular truck

So when I need information for the tax authorities I poll using the 4
digit codes and when I want informaiton for my management (costing and
expenses) I use whatever level needed to supply what I need.

I started my account list using what was provided by the taxation
authorities. From this I developed by document (list) which is now 33
pages in length.

I do my accounts using a textfile program called leafpad which makes
for easy copy and paste which I use often.

Dee