Completely agree with Martin about non-technical users and ease of edits.
To add some more thoughts from our experience using Wiki at Dgraph:
https://wiki.dgraph.io

- The amount of work required to submit a change to Wiki is **considerably
lesser** than doing the same on Github. Consider this, you're consuming the
documentation in a browser. You see an issue, if you're logged in, you'll
see an edit next to the section, which you can click, fix the issue, and
submit.

The Github flow is, OTOH, designed not for quickly updating documentation,
but for writing code. You switch away from browser; do a git clone or a git
pull, do the mod in the entire doc (no section level edit), commit, create
a PR, wait for it to be reviewed, address potential issues with the PR, and
then wait until it gets submitted. The process complexity is the same
whether it's a minor edit or a major one. The result is that Github flow
isn't done by most consumers of the documentation. The smaller the edit is,
the more neglected it would be.

- Wiki formatting is slightly inferior to Markdown but isn't much different
(the existing Texi is considerably harder to follow). So, the learning
curve isn't all that much. Minor edits wouldn't need to worry about this
anyway -- you just see what's around, and follow.

- And this is where Wiki really shines -- that is templates. You see a
section which is incorrect, needs work, out of date, or want to have a
special note, add a warning; you can add a special highlighted box in Wiki.
That adds a real value for the end user. No other solution does that --
Google docs or Github. Case in point: https://wiki.dgraph.io/Beginners_Guide
.

Templates are particularly useful for users who don't know how to fix the
issue but can add a "needs fix" template in the right place in the
documentation to let everyone else know that there's an issue here. This is
a much better solution than using Github issues because you can see the
issue when reading the documentation -- they're in the same place. You'll
probably still need Github issues, but they'd be for major doc issues.

So, what do you give up by moving to Wiki? I'd say nothing really. A
one-time script can convert the Texi format to Wiki Syntax. What new things
it would bring? All the above; particularly ease of edits and templates.