The point I am trying to make here is:-

1. Yes. It is possible to make incremental backups of text files.
2. Yes. It is possible to encrypt text files too.

My concerns:-

Keeping the file organized for large volume transactions.
Handling salaries, individual receivable accounts / payable accounts ,
invoicing.

I am not saying that any of the above is inconceivable in ledger. They all
can be very well managed on Ledger but it can be a bit tedious.
Maintaining a common structure among all the ledger files is necessary if
you want to make the most of ledger for a small business in my opinion.

Correct me if I am wrong on any of the above.