On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 11:43 PM, Marcos <nitegale...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The point I am trying to make here is:-
>
> 1. Yes. It is possible to make incremental backups of text files.
> 2. Yes. It is possible to encrypt text files too.
>
> My concerns:-
>
> Keeping the file organized for large volume transactions.
> Handling salaries, individual receivable accounts / payable accounts ,
> invoicing.
>
> I am not saying that any of the above is inconceivable in ledger. They all
> can be very well managed on Ledger but it can be a bit tedious.
> Maintaining a common structure among all the ledger files is necessary if
> you want to make the most of ledger for a small business in my opinion.
>
> Correct me if I am wrong on any of the above.

IMO you are raising some valid points here. In moving from personal finances
to even that of a small business perhaps only a few things change but if that
business grows (and I sure hope mine does!) well some things begin to show
themselves.

I have been combating file organization but using another document for the
maintenance of things like my account codes. For personal use it is easy
enough to not use codes but I want to be able to track what it is that I'm
spending on for my business. This means granularity.

I started by looking at the GIFI codes (General Index of Financial
Information).
Its used by my taxation authorities. Codes used run from 1000 to 9999 but
not all codes are needed by all businesses (9370 (IIRC) to 9999 are used
for agricultural businesses). This seemed to be a good start but still didn't
give me what I wanted (I wanted my ledger to be a tool for my use rather than
just a tool for calculating taxes owed!). I achieved that by adding
some figures
and because I find that trying to read more than 6 or 7 digits at a
time becomes
more error prone I added some punctuation.

For example (an account code): 8964.10.01.01

8964                  - machinery and equipment repairs
xxxx.10             -  mobile equipment (verses stationary equipment
in the shop)
xxxx.xx.01         -  a specific type of mobile equipment
xxxx.xx.xx.01     -  a particular piece of equipment

The system could be expanded to allow for more than 100 pieces being tracked
but for my purposes I thought that this would be adequate.

So as well as writing what say that particular part name is (I use
notes for part
number information) like say alternator I can assign that part to a
specific piece
of equipment. This is useful when I'm looking at costs per amount of
use so that
I can determine when it is advantageous to change that piece of
equipment either
for something that better suits the purpose or functions better (ie by
new or just
newer).

I have setup  accounts receivable and payable similarly and it seems to be
working. Haven't yet had more than a trickle of salary needs so that one hasn't
been done yet.

What would be useful would be something like an 'inline calculator'.

ie

Salary for Joe
(notes file)
; period
; hours ('inline calculator' activated and it prints and populates
based on hours)
expense: a: wages paid                                  (each item has
an amount)
expense: b: employee deduction i
expense: c: employee deduction ii
expense: d: employee deduction iii
expense: e: employee deduction iv        (until all employee
deductions are done)
expense: j: employer deduction x
expense: k: employer deduction xi        (until all employer
deductions are done)

I would envision this calculator to be generic as every jurisdiction
has its own
gotchas. So the capability would be there and the correlations would
be definable
and would need some flexibility AND concreteness. Formulas current for one
date series are not necessarily current for another date series so
there would need
be some kind of 'permanence' to the calculator. (Meaning that
something like this
salary calculator would be used for a specified date range and NOT another
date range.)

Yes this isn't straight forward but welcome to taxation and behemoth
bureaucracies!

I hope that I haven't hijacked Mr. Marcos's thread!

TIA and with highest regard

Dee