On Sat, Mar 4, 2017 at 10:52 PM, Marcin Borkowski <mb...@mbork.pl> wrote:

> On 2017-03-05, at 02:54, Marcos <nitegale...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I have been using ledger for a while. I find it very useful personal usage
>> and tracking my personal expenses however using it for a Small Business
>> seems a bit daunting and/or scary.
>> The idea of having all customer data on a text file as opposed to some
>> secure database does make it seem less suitable for Small Business(in my
>> opinion).
>>
>> On the other hand, the easy and agnostic input of data makes it a valuable
>> for rapid entries(at the same time not having proper accounting structure
>> across all files runs the risk of having strange ledger outputs).
>>
>> I would like to hear what others here feel about this.
>
> How would you compare:
>
> - ledger text files,
> - what you refer to as "secure database",
> - old-school paper?
>
> The question is, what do you mean by "secure".  Do you mean "encrypted"?
> Why not encrypt text files?  Do you mean "backed up"?  I do backups of
> my files daily.  Do you mean atomicity of operations?  I'm not very
> familiar with that, but with not-so-high volume of hand-input
> transactions, this shouldn't be a big deal, no?

Only speaking to the last question - - - as the number of transactions goes up
the greater the risk of modulations in descriptions and/or terms used.
This would
be further acerbated by greater numbers of individuals inputting data.
The changes
could be small, like using a capital on a word where the bookkeeper doesn't.

This is very much less of an issue when it is only one person, and
always the same
person entering data. When that number of persons increases - - well
the risk of
changes increases largely!

Regards

Dee