Hi Chary and all,

Chary Chary <chary...@gmail.com> writes:

> Ok, I am not an accountant, so  am expressing this from my personal point
> of view and personal needs

Me too. :)

To be honest, I don't approach ledger by thinking in terms of reports.
Instead, I just have a bunch of questions I like to ask of my finances,
some of them regularly, some of them only once in a while.  For the
former kind of question, I have a few pre-defined commands.  For the
latter kind of question, I usually just figure out how to query ledger
for the information I want on the fly.  I don't worry about how the
output looks, as long as it contains the information I'm looking for.

You seem to be thinking about ledger more in terms of predefined
reports.  That's fine!  These reports exist, after all, because they're
useful ways of organizing and conceptualizing financial data.  But I
would suggest that you might find it more helpful to think in terms of
"What kind of questions do I need ledger to answer?" My experience,
anyway, is that it's usually more straightforward to think in these
terms than in terms of "How can I use ledger to generate report X?"
(mostly because that question gets you thinking more about formatting,
rather than the information itself, and formatting can get complicated).

If you need reports in a specific format -- e.g. because you are running
a business -- ledger can probably produce them (possibly in combination
with other tools).  But I'm not the best person to help with that,
unfortunately. :)

> I must say though, I have a feeling, that I am still missing something. I
> just don't understand how people, who do investments, own stock can live
> without such report. Is't it logical to be able to explain a delta in your
> financial net worth between 2 periods of time?

> So much salary
> so much expenses
> so much increase due to company XXX shared change
>
> Overall change XXXX
>
> Without such report you would look at 2 balance sheet reports (A and B) but
> would not know how exactly you came from A to B.

OK, I think I see more clearly what you're looking for now: you want

- a single report
- that shows the change in your assets between two points in time
- grouped into positive and negative changes (i.e., Income and Expenses)
- which includes unrealized gains and losses
- where the total reflects the overall change

Is that right?  If so, I don't think it's super trivial but I believe it
is possible, so let's figure out how to do it.  (Hopefully other people
can chime in here, because as I said, reports are not my strong point.)

A reasonable first approximation is something like:

ledger -f your_file reg Assets --group-by='amount < 0' --related -X EUR

though that doesn't show the total, and has one transaction (rather than
one account) per line.

--
Best,
Richard