In some ways a difficult game to assess, so up and down and all over the place
was it.
The footballing gods took the piss, once again, out of Leeds- we have bought
lots of players but not in the two positions that we really needed - left back*
and centre half , with only one left back (Berardi and he is really a right
back) and 3 centre halves (Cooper, Pennington and the suspended Jansson) on the
books. So of course, cruising at 2 0 our only left back gets injured and on
comes another right back / defensive midfielder and we concede soon afterwards.
We then get our two goal advantage back and everything was looking rosy then
off goes Pennington to be replaced by a lad making his debut, but not a centre
half , oh no, a midfielder. Again , even sooner this time, a rookie mistake by
him leads to a penalty and we found ourselves only one goal to the good. We did
manage to hang on and get all three points, albeit against a side that is
expected to be fighting and probably losing that fight, against relegation.
We played some really good football at times, at others we looked shaky and
nervous at the back, and at others we either kept the ball to no purpose or
resorted to hoofing it. So as I say a real mix of things
I am more in the O'Kane in the man of the match camp than just he 'did Ok' but
I felt that when we were under the cosh he went missing a bit and he seemed
very reluctant to shoot but overall I was very impressed.

Apart from maybe Wood and Ayling, that can be said of all the players - some
good stuff and some dross.

Anita looked assured and could be a real asset, Roofe looked sharper than last
season and Phillips got forward much more than any midfielder did last season.
I thought Alioski looked lost to start with but did grow into the game and he
also got forward and into the box to aid Wood much more than anyone did last
time - as shown by his header for our 2nd goal.
I have big doubts about the keeper - his throwing was good and a new element
but I remember shouting at the screen when one kick went straight into touch
and then his next went right to a Bolton player - a better debut than Green
last season at QPR but not one to fill me with confidence.
I love Sacko but that 5 minute cameo was as bad as I have seen from any player
Cooper had a solid game but I am not sure what the captains armband means long
term - will it go to Pontus when he is back, or will keep it which means him
being picked ahead of Pennington each week ? It does seem to show that the
other players have more faith in him than most fans. I do think he is Ok and
comes in for some unwarranted stick BUT you always feel there is a mistake in
him just waiting to come out and one that will cost us a goal
So all in all a much better start than last time but it is the first game and
not too much can be read into it  I remember the first 'heavy metal 'game under
Rosler a style that was never replicated. Whateve,r it is 3 points on the table
and some good things to build on
2 final points - how come Bothwick-Jackson had  a seat among Leeds fans when it
was sold out and I could not get a ticket ?
2nd - Vieira, like many fans I think he is the best midfielder we have and i do
worry about him being left out yesterday. I just hope it is to protect him and
not either that he has got too big for his boots and is not putting it in in
training, or even worse that TC does not rate him

* I know that we have now signed CBJ on a years loan

DavePS - Re Lexi and the smashed grave - we went to the grave at weekend and
there was a lovely letter of apology from one of the kids and his Mum - they
seem genuinely upset and disgusted, even to the point where they said instead
of just taking his X Box off him they have smashed it (and left a photo as
proof) to let him feel what it is like to have something he treasured smashed !