From: Leedslist [mailto:leedslist-boun...@gn.apc.org] On Behalf Of
{broken-address}
Sent: 17 September 2017 13:45
To: leedslist@gn.apc.org
Subject: [LU] Millwall

Guys (and gals?),

Have I fallen off the list, or are you all stunned into digital silence by
yesterday's events? Not a single email about the Millwall game?

Anyway, thanks to the official site's streaming offer, I was able to watch
this game as I have all of the other league games this season. I thought it
was the first game where Christiansen got his team selection completely
wrong. I've mentioned before that I thought we looked a little lightweight
going forward this season, Wood/Lasogga aside, and this game underlined the
point. Going into the Den with Hernandez, Saiz and Alioski in the first XI
was a mistake. This was exactly the sort of game in which Hernandez went
missing last season, and so it proved again. Our midfield were second to
every loose ball and, when they did have it at their feet, were muscled off
it too easily (as has frequently been the case this season). You have to
earn the right to play against teams like Millwall, and we played like this
information came as a shock. It should not have been.

A better team selection would have seen us go 4-5-1 with the feisty Berardi
replacing Anita, who had a shocking game, Ronaldo Vieira adding bite and
steel in the center of midfield, and Dallas on the wing, with Hernandez and
Alioski on the bench. I'd have been tempted to put Klich on the field in
place of Saiz as well. Once we've held our own in midfield and the Millwall
battlers start to tire, then bring on Alioski and Saiz on in the second half
to start to exploit the space that might have started to appear.

Christiansen's decision to make just the one enforced change (Shaughnessy
for the injured Cooper) meant we were facing a very physical game with a
first XI that was going into what was sure to be a very physical game less
than four days after ten of them had ground out a difficult win in a very
tiring game. Predictably, they looked exhausted long before the final
whistle. There's no point in bringing in 16 players over the summer if we
don't use the strength in depth that the squad now has.

Nonetheless, it didn't help that Cooper's injury from Birmingham game kept
him out of the squad. Shaughnessy didn't do too much wrong (although getting
booked for dissent in the first half was stupid, and presumably forced him
to temper his challenges in the second half), but the defence this season
has looked calmer with Captain Coops in command. Jansson's injury meant that
we were forced to chase the game in the last ten minutes a man down. We can
only hope it's not a serious injury (looked like a hamstring) and that
Pennington and Cooper recover quickly.

Christiansen and various players have said they have learned from the game.
I hope so. This was a needless three points to give away.

Cheers!

Sean

FLAME WARS 'R US