I’m inclined to agree with Prutton.
Too many of the players are just not up to it and their heads drop when things
don’t go their way.
I agree with you on the bizarre duality on Twitter. You can’t have it both
ways. If it’s Heck’s fault and the players are good enough then I don’t see how
you can blame Orta. Equally, it it’s Orta’s fault for signing bad players then
you can’t blame the Heck. Also, some of the worst players were here before Orta
- Cooper, Roofe and O’Kane for a start.
I’d opt for a third view - it’s difficult for Orta to sign top players with the
restrictions in place on wages and he’s had to take a cheaper approach of
signing relative unknowns and hoping they work out. For every Saiz there’s
going to be a Lasogga / Grot / Ekuban.
While it’s not great, it’s better than running up masses of debt again.
A few decent signings in the summer and a few more young lads introduced from
the U23s and I think next year will be better.