I show the picture inline, not as an attachment worked fine on Thunderbird

On 9/4/2011 6:35 PM, Tim Krause wrote:
Picture does not show up. See if you can send it to my personal email. I wish I knew what you where doing that it's not working. I see the image is converted to a mime attachment inline with the email rather than an attachment to the email (separate file). I'm looking forward to hearing the results. The added torque should be more than enough, the only real question is what the top rpm range you will get out of it. I'm thinking it might stall out near 200 rpms but that's more than fast enough for legacy work.
Thanks for keeping us posted.

    *From:* Dustin Yoder <mailto:dustinyo...@hotmail.com>
    *To:* legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com
    <mailto:legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com>
    *Sent:* Sunday, September 04, 2011 3:57 PM
    *Subject:* RE: Build log of sorts for a 1200 upgrade to CNC

    Last time I left off, my A-axis didn't have enough holding torque.
    I tried to research a bigger stepper, but nothing substantially
    better in the 600-900oz range really fit at 3.5A for my G540
    controller, and I didn't want to get into big bucks with another
    stepper, controller and parallel port, etc. Nema 24 motors claimed
    better torque, but the price was too high--same with bolt on gear
    reducers.

    I decided to try a gear reduction as the lowest cost option that I
    could reuse on the other axes if it didn't work.. I ended up
    putting around $70 into it, which is around my limit that I wanted
    to spend right now. I'm going to attach a photo, so let me know if
    you do not see it.

    I used the existing holes in my headstock (one 3/8" hole and the
    3/8" hole for the spring point for the indexing gears). I built a
    6:1 gear reduction and pretty much eyeballed all the drill holes
    to get a reasonable result. All shafts on the gears are 1/4"
    D-shaped shafts that I got from mcmaster. The only modification
    that I made was to tap a 10-24 hole in the headstock to clamp the
    1/4" shaft inserted into it(note the bolt sticking out of the top
    of the headstock.) I didn't feel like this was making an
    irreversible modification, so it fit within my guidelines.

    Originally, I wanted to turn down a 5/16" bolt to 1/4" on the end
    so that I could just screw it into the headstock without having to
    tap a hole, but my turning skills suck and I have no clue how to
    run my little metal lathe.

    I pressed oilite bearings into the aluminum frame for the 1/4"
    shaft. I figured they'd add a little durability.

    In all, this is a very garage shop/jury rigged setup, but it is
    functional. I'm going to test it out under load hopefully this week.

    Dustin
    Groups "Legacy Ornamental Mills" group.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Legacy Ornamental Mills" group. To post to this group, send email to legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to legacy-ornamental-mills+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/legacy-ornamental-mills?hl=en.