I enter my census as follows:

Census
Description blank (I got started a long time ago not using this field and
never have... not sure what my original reason was.)
Date - year of census only
Location - town/city, county, state, usa

Notes
He is living with his wife of 6 years and 4 children, working as a farmer,
aged 43.
Or
She is living with her parents and siblings, attending school, aged 9.
Etc...

I enter an event for each individual listed in the census.

Then in my sources I have the source name to read 1920 US Census: Indiana.
SMITH, Joe
(listing each census under the head of household name)
And in the source details I do a transcription of each census (like others
have indicated in their notes... with each name in the household, birth,
age, profession, etc.) and then I also attach the census image to the
source.  This source I then attach to all of the family members.

-----Original Message-----
From: k...@legacyfamilytree.com [mailto:k...@legacyfamilytree.com] On Behalf
Of Jenny M Benson
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2009 11:01 AM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyFamilyTree.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Entering US Census Information

Randolph Clark wrote
>Question: If you name the census image something other than the name of
>the primary person sought then how do you (easily) know whether you've
>found/saved that person's census location?

I decided long ago that I needed a simple way of keeping track of what
information or I had or did not have for every individual in my file so
I created a spreadsheet.  It has one sheet for each of the 4 branches of
my family and each sheet has the User ID, forenames and surnames down
the left side, with years of Birth and Death. There are then columns for
Birth, Baptism, Marriage (3 columns - haven't had anyone marry 4 times
yet!), Death and Burial, columns for each Census then columns showing
briefly who the person is (wife of Joe Bloggs 123, for example) and
their relationship (if any) to me.

It only takes a second to update it as I go along and I can see at a
glance where basic information is still to be located
--
Jenny M Benson