Elizabeth,

I think that you are correct, and I did suggest that Chapman codes can be
misleading as you suggest. However, I would always recommend using the full
address in reports, web pages etc. so to use them in the short location
would be fine.

Mike, my point was/is that genealogists everywhere would/should recognise
them, but the proverbial man in the street may not, as they are not the
abbreviations commonly used by him. Lancashire: Lancs; Yorkshire: Yorks;
Hampshire: Hants; etc. etc.

Ron Ferguson

Create your Website with Legacy, see Tutorials at:
http://www.fergys.co.uk
Includes the family tree for Alan J Grimshaw
http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
For The Fergusons of N.W. England
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fergys/