"We've heard many times that this is an
unfriendly LUG, intimidating people and generally causing bad
feelings. I think we'd do better to give a little leeway to our fellow
Legacy users, many of whom are obviously new to Legacy or the LUG (and
may not even know about the archives.)   Sending a test message when
you are not sure if you are getting through to the group seems like a
pretty innocuous thing to do."

I am on multiple email groups and this is by far the most unfriendly
group as stated.  People here are willing to spend 10 minutes ranting
but unwilling to hit delete when they see a message they are not
interested in.  They chase away people who would like to post a query
but are intimidated. And the squeaky wheel gets the grease because the
Millenia people are forced to "uphold" the rules when it could be such
a pleasant back & forth.  Oh well. I still think in the end, we will
all receive some kind of insight from each other that will help us in
our research and use of LegacyFT.

Kathy

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 10:46 AM, Dick Nixon <nixon.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mike, that is a pretty narrow argument. Sure, some people have dial-up
> or no Internet at all, and some are running Win3.1, have small discs,
> and on and on. We all live with some economic trade offs. But it's
> 2010 and the norm for computer users is a fairly fast computer and
> some sort of high speed IN. You can't expect to design for the lowest
> common denominator. Some of the best features of Legacy pretty much
> require a fast IN and we'd all be outraged if Legacy had not kept up
> with the technology. (How about a snail mail LUG for those without any
>  Internet?)  We even allow discussion of clever Access functions and
> very few Legacy users are up for that.
>
> But I think the real point isn't  the cost of an extra email, it's the
> need that some people feel to "enforce" the rules, as they perceive
> them, on everyone else. We've heard many times that this is an
> unfriendly LUG, intimidating people and generally causing bad
> feelings. I think we'd do better to give a little leeway to our fellow
> Legacy users, many of whom are obviously new to Legacy or the LUG (and
> may not even know about the archives.)   Sending a test message when
> you are not sure if you are getting through to the group seems like a
> pretty innocuous thing to do.
>
> I think Millenia itself should do a better job of keeping people on
> topic and enforcing the rules...if they feel the need... and
> discourage the users from doing that. The LUG could then be a
> friendlier place and more useful to ALL users.
>
> (Guess I was bored today...my longest rant ever.)
>
> Dick
>

> Legacy User Group guidelines:
>
>   http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Etiquette.asp
>
> Archived messages after Nov. 21 2009:
>
>   http://www.mail-archive.com/legacyusergroup@legacyusers.com/

>   http://www.mail-archive.com/legacyusergr...@legacyfamilytree.com/

Kathy Meyer
"To reach a goal you have never before attained, you must do things
you have never before done."
--Richard G. Scott, "Finding the Way Back," Ensign, May 1990, 74

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting
different results. ~ Albert Einstein