As I've read all the replies on this thread, I am thoroughly convinced of three
things.

1.  The political subdivisions of the United States are nowhere near uniform.
Each state does as it pleases (which is what our Constitution stipulates).
2.  Address location anywhere in the UK is only understood by someone born
there.
3.  The state of New York has the most confusing addressing system anywhere in
the world.
4.  I never understood math.

Brian in CA