1. There is no option for a preferred source, but that sounds like a
good idea! Submit a suggestion using the form on our website
www.LegacyFamilyTree.com > Help Center > Make a Suggestion.

 In the Master Source List (View.> Master Lists), you can select to
"Exclude this source from reports". However that will apply to all
uses of this source.

2. It's not necessary. You can open multiple files by using View >
Split Screen and then copying parts of the file or the whole file from
one file to another by using a drag-drop.  There are a couple of
articles on our website at www.LegacyFamilyTree.com > Help Center >
Tips > Split Screen View:The Power of Using Two Databases
Side-by-Side.

And yes, you can display the two files on separate monitors - I do it
all the time.  Make sure the program is in a window and not full
screen.  Stretch it across the monitor and then adjust the split
screen view so one file is on one monitor and the other file is on the
other monitor.

If you have two different versions of Legacy, once a file has been
opened in the more recent version, the only way to open it in an older
version is to create a gedcom in the newer one and import that into
the older one.

Sincerely,
Sherry
Technical Support