Cheryl:

1. Oldtown, Allegany County, Maryland is the location I've
given for an 1787 event.  When I attempted to insert the
Geo-location data, the program correctly complains that
Allegany county wasn't formed until 1789.  So, I then select
when I know to be the name of the county from which Allegany
was created; Geo-locator can't find Oldtown.

Surely I'm doing /something/ wrong, but what?  And yes that
IS how Maryland spells Allegany.

    Using Animap, I find that in 1748, Oldtown was in Frederick County.  In
1776, it was in Washington County.  And in 1789 it was in Allegany County.  The
latitude given was 39.541 and the longitude was 78.611.
    I hope that helps.  And you were right; my spell check does not like that
spelling of Allegany.  of course it does not like my first name either!

Howland Davis