From: John B. Lisle
Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2013 4:32 PM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Re: Exporting Shared Events [WAS: Re: [LegacyUG] Shared vital Events]

Ward,

I really wish to take exception to your "half implemented" comment.

In the long run, the purpose of Gedcom is to communicate information to another
product. Not all products have all of the same features.

Shared events - as far as I know - only exist in Legacy, Roots Magic, and a
variation in The Master Genealogist. Currently, the Gedcoms for RM and Legacy
can interchange Shared events perfectly.

Supposedly, TMG (not TNG!) does not import or export any Gedcoms that contain
anything but Gedcom 5.5.1 standard tags so shared events (They call them
Witnesses) do not escape from their bubble. (I have not played with TMG in a
while, and, recently, I have had TMG users dispute this assertion but without
evidence.)

What neither RM or Legacy do is to create a Gedcom where Shared events are
converted to regular events for Gedcom export. I do not believe that anyone has
yet determined how this might look, yet.

--> Note: It is likely that some further enhancements need to be made to Shared
events so this conversion exercise might be done as part of any enhancements.
One of the proposed enhancements is to add role notes onto the person sharing
the event and including in the event sentences the ability to structure the
Role Notes with the Main notes. In a Gedcom export to regular notes, would you
have to add to the notes that the event was shared from someone else and this
person participated as a <role>.

There are currently several Gedcom options that are clearly designed to
facilitate export to a 3rd party product. (eg, the 2 note conversions, the Q
dates conversion.) When you do those conversion, you do not plan on
re-importing those Gedcoms back into Legacy.

I can tell you with confidence that these are not all easy changes. Each change
is fraught with challenges with folks with existing family files that might be
damaged.

Almost every Gedcom export change has to be married to a Gedcom import change.

When you start to add in Privacy concerns and partial gedcom export options,
you have very difficult functionality to test. I personally did a lot of
testing in this area and was only able to cover a fraction of all of the test
cases that exist.

I almost forgot to chat about SourceWriter Sources... again. These are a Legacy
unique features. Each template comes with its own baggage with respect to
Gedcom export. I believe that, when a new Template is created, the Gedcom
export and import may sometimes be needed to be updated to support it. (I do
not claim to be the SW expert among the testers so I do not look at this.)

Being able to export a SW Source and then re-importing it into Legacy is really
only an archival issue. The key is can Legacy Gedcom export convert a SW source
into a standard "Basic" source without loss of content that can be in turn
understood by most 3rd party products.

john.