Ward,

Thanks for your note.

Please see below...

john.

At 05:18 PM 12/5/2013, Ward Walker wrote:
Jay and John,

I don’t expect these features/structures to be re-imported intact into the target system (whether another product or back into Legacy).

I do expect, at some time in the future, that Gedcom will have an option to export SW Sources in a form that they can be re-imported into Legacy perfectly. Not being the programmer, I do not know what the issues are.

What I meant by ‘workaround’ is to bend these structures into the standard GEDCOM format. Shared events become separate events. (I acknowledge that something would have to be done with ‘roles’.)

Agree. At this point, let's walk before we run.

We already export so that RM can import them perfectly, and we can import RM's perfectly.

SourceWriter sources already become Basic, but Legacy should re-order the information so that the basic source reads OK.

As far as I know, SW Sources exported into Gedcom as "Basic" are able to import into other programs. I know of no specific problems although I am sure some exist, either based on specific templates or types of included data.

--> One problem that has been reported on this list is that note fields on export in sources are not getting the formatting codes and space code conversions when they are requested in the export.

If you know of specific issues, not just anecdotal reports, then you need to get them to support so that they can be reviewed and included in the bug list.

I said ‘option’ because there might be opportunities for competing vendors to do a more intelligent interchange. You are saying that RM and Legacy can interchange shared events via GEDCOM, so there must be a special way to encode the non-standard structures.

The two vendors seem to have "agreed" to adopt the same syntax. This same syntax has been presented to TNG (Web Publisher) for his future implementation of Shared Events. (TNG Users... if you want this in TNG soon, you really have to ask TNG to include it.)

 My wish is for an option that suits an unknown target system as best possible using only standard GEDCOM. I’ve never run into a cousin that uses RM.

As I said before, I want this too so I can use Shared Events. BUT... I want to let the implementation settle down as more should be coming. hopefully soon. ;-)

BTW, I sympathize with the testing challenges. I was a software tester and test manager.

You might want to consider offering yourself up for the Test team. ;-)

Perhaps it is time for Millennia to invest in some automated test cases for regression testing.

Above my pay grade... But possibly a thought moving forward. I introduced automatic testing to many companies before I retired. I am not current with what is in the market today, and, if it would fit with Millennia's development process.

But my complaint is with the design of new features. If I can’t send my digital data to a fellow researcher, even in a simplified state, then I better not use that feature. It is not fully implemented.

In my opinion, Legacy has the best balance of advanced customizable features and "non-proprietary" data of any of the major vendors. Personally, I try to get my fellow researchers to convert to Legacy so I can send them a Legacy backup file. And, if they do not want all of the data, ready to go, they get a Gedcom.

In 2013, however, collaboration is not really done best by sharing files. It is done with web/cloud based solutions like TNG, Ancestry Files, Family Search Tree, etc.

john.

   Ward