From: Kathy Thompson [mailto:kmthoms...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 25, 2013 10:15 PM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Same Sex Partnerships/Marriages

I don't record best friends or pets either Ellen, they are a completely
different kettle of fish.
If I was to include those, I'd potentially look like a crazy cat lady to anyone
who looked at my tree in future.

I do however have an albeit small number of people in my tree who have been in
a same sex relationship for at least twice as long as a number of marriages.
If I am going to record a 3 year marriage, or a 5 year de-facto
not-married-but-had-kids relationship, I should at least honour the 10+ year
committed same sex relationship in the same way.
I am not going to deny the child one of their parents just because their
parents didn't marry, so why should I deny someone their life partner because
the law denies them the same rights to marriage as everyone else?

If Legacy brings in the ability for same-sex relationships to be recorded -
it's going to be an optional thing, just the same as using the Research
Guidance, or the Surety Levels, or adding images and sources are optional.

(Although I would hope that sources are being recorded somehow, even if the
Basic Sources or Source Writer features aren't being used)

God Bless You too Ellen, hope you had a Merry Christmas.