Ron,

Having worked with computers since 1964 when many still had
vacuum tube amplifiers, and having worked as a programmer,
senior technical writer, systems engineer and database
manager, among other duties, as well as acting as a beta for
a wide variety of software manufacturers, I feel that I am
very familiar with the software industry.

You obviously did not read carefully what I wrote.  I did
not advocate, nor mention, providing program updates to
Millennia's software at no cost to the customer. I only
speculated on alternative means of providing more current
versions of documentation to Millennia's customers who had
already paid for the program and its documentation.  In the
case of the PDF manual version I fail to see where offering
a free download update to that PDF file to those customers
who had already purchased a PDF manual would represent any
significant added cost to Millennia if they are udating that
PDF version regularly anyway.  Naturally such customers
would have to provide their customer number to validate
their entitlement to the updated PDF manual.

I am always amazed at how people manage to comment on other
people's writing without reading that writing.  Any software
firm is faced with a juggling act between holding production
costs at bay while also supporting their customer base with
adequate documentation.  My suggestions were made with both
concerns in mind, and I feel they offered options that might
satisfy both needs.

John Zimmerman
Mesa, AZ