You mentioned " Anyone with an internet connection can look at other people's
web pages at Freepages, and there is nothing stopping anyone from copying the
data found within. There is no facility there for downloading a GEDCOM from
those pages."

I believe the option to allow download a GEDCOM from a Freepages site is an
option that the creator of that family file selects whenever he or she creates
the pages at Freepages. Many of the sites that I've viewed on Freepages have an
option for the viewed to Download a GEDCOM. I imagine it is very similar to the
same creation process at RootsWeb/World Connect. If the creator of the
particular family database, clicked on "Allow Gedcoms" when that family file
was uploaded, then whenever anyone views the data for any individual in that
family file, there is an option to DOWNLOAD GEDCOM and you can select either
ancestors or descendants for whatever range of number of generations that you
wish. You can also select the end-of-line character with CRLF being the default
and other options if you or your viewing program expects something different.

Although real-time corrections by others to the data on RootsWeb/WorldConnect
is not allowed, viewers can freely add a "Post-em" to any individual's page to
offer additional info, or corrections, or maybe just say hello. These post-ems
are visible to all until the owner of the database deletes them.

Brian in CA