That's why I don't use any of those public webpages such as ancestry or
rootsweb.

With TNG (The Next Generation) which I recommended in an earlier post, and with
MyHeritage, and perhaps other web programs, your information can be totally
private if you choose. That way, you can include information about living
people, which, is often what your relatives want.

GEDCOMs can be downloaded, but, only by people you have invited and allowed
passwords to your site. A search engine might find your site, but no one can
see anything except the Home page unless you have invited them and given them a
password. They cannot see your surnames, index, etc.

That is the real benefit to programs such as those I have mentioned. With most
others, you cannot make them totally private. Using these, relatives can see
the details about family, which is usually what they want to see.

CE

> From: wendy.how...@gmail.com
> To: legacyusergroup@LegacyUsers.com
> Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] uploading legacy information to the web