Unicode is a character encoding system that can handle all the characters for all the languages in the world plus special characters. It is important to those with ancestors from Slavic/Eastern European, China, Japan, etc. These are areas which use alphabets that are not supported currently in Legacy. It may have no impact on you but many researchers do have ancestors whose names use these special alphabets and who lived in areas where place names are in those alphabets.

Adding Unicode support to Legacy will greatly expand the potential user base.

Brian Kelly