From: LegacyUserGroup [mailto:legacyusergroup-boun...@legacyusers.com] On
Behalf Of Dennis Murphy
Sent: Saturday, August 5, 2017 8:55 AM
To: Legacy User Group
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Legacy Merger

I also have used Legacy for years after trying every genealogy program in the
market, as well as some that no longer exist. In my opinion the corporate
concept that "bigger id better" was born from either sheer greed or total
ignorance. My first voyage into the online data posting was with Rootsweb,
because it vowed to always "remain free." Then along comes Ancestry and they
gobble up Rootsweb, adding their databases to Ancestry World Tree. I know this
to be a fact as beginner errors in my original Rootsweb Gedcom have transferred
over to the Ancestry database.

And now along comes MyHeritage and they "merge" with Millennia, which is likely
a quaint euphemism for "buy everything you got" including and especially their
programmers..The handwriting on the wall reads "open your wallet" as we're
going a la carte..

I quit using Family Tree Maker due to their corporate greed in making sure each
new version was incompatible with earlier versions, thus forcing you to buy the
next upgrade. And now Jack has his thumb in Legacy's plumb pie and I wonder how
long it will take before all prices go up.

Last but not least, it was but two weeks ago that I had to vehemently protest
to MyHeritage and one of its contributors about data posted on their site
concerning my "living" relatives. They did remove it but there is no telling
how long it was there and who may or may not have downloaded it. While many
sites do remove details about living persons, they do NOT remove their names;
none of the online databases that I know do this - but they should! As any
decent genealogist and/or identity thief knows, it's not that difficult to find
all sorts of information about a person given their parents and siblings names.

There had better be a sure-fire way to "opt out" of any automatic grabbing of
any Legacy data by MyHeritage or I will be looking for yet another genealogy
program.

Worried