Tom,
There is no equivalent to the US County Verifier for the UK - and there's no need for it that I can see. Yes the boundaries of UK counties change a little and I guess more recently - I have little research in UK post 1920 and even less post 197? when more changes were made? However in the US, counties were formed and changed dramatically over their history. The US County Verifier will tell you that the county didn't exist for the date you've attached it to and is some help in finding the right county. UK counties are the equivalents of US states. Counties are more like Parishes. If by Location database you mean the downloadable Geolocation database. I haven't even downloaded it for years. Some find it helpful and others don't. It's most helpful for US locations. The Facebook group has files in the file section for how to use hidden features to make it more useful. I prefer simply to research the locations I come across and map them onto the Bing maps in Legacy myself if Bing can't find it (as it can't usually with historic names).

Where an equivalent to the US County Verifier would be useful is in Europe for the many country border changes there. The best tool for negotiating them is apparently the Centennia Historical Atlas.

It's your choice whether you follow Chris's practice of using empty commas for non-existent location parts in order to fit the US 4 field standard. I won't. I only enter empty commas when I have yet to find a part of a location - eg I know the town but not the English county. town, , England I simply sort my location list right to left. So I can highlight all locations in Dorset and then use the Show List tool (under the Options button) to get a list of everyone with some association with Dorset.

Also note that if you want to be a purist and keep addresses out of your location list, the tools and reports for the Address List are meager and very inferior to the tools and reports available for the location list. I also don't like the way addresses are entered or the way they're used in reports. So I don't use Legacy Event Addresses. Another reason is that unless you repeat it in the Description field of an Event, it is completely hidden.

Another place to find standard locations is FamilySearch. They've moved away from the 4 field "standard" for everywhere in the world. When you enter locations in FamilySearch tree, you are asked to link the location to a "standard" location.

Legacy is a tool for doing genealogy. There are standards in genealogy and it's good to know them and to use them. If you break them, know why and what the consequences are. I haven't found any negative consequences for doing locations as I do. There may be if you are writing for a professional journal.

Cathy
Chris Hill <mailto:chris.hill.11he...@gmail.com>
Monday, 7 August 2017 7:29 PM
For the UK addresses, I normally use this structure - Banbury, ,
Oxfordshire, England - though there other options suggested in the Geo
Database lookups that you can use. If needed, I then add to the left of list so that I can then get one like this - Milton Regis, Sittingbourne, , Kent,
England.

It is really your choice about how you want to record addresses, and I went
through my large database a few years ago to sort out all of the various
versions that I had been building over many years.

Similarly, I use these as well - Airdrie, , Alberta, Canada and Adelaide, ,
South Australia, Australia.

One 'fault' that I made was to include 'buildings', like this All Saints
Church, Poplar, London, England within the locations and not as a separate
address record. I am still clearing those out from my system.

I think the idea was for the location to relate to a general place, like a
village or town, and that the address would cover an explicit building, like
a church.

But, ultimately, it is your choice how to do it, but be aware that, if
exchanging data, the other parties may have a different view on how they
would treat it.

Regards

Chris - UK based