I just answered you on Facebook.  Here is what I said…



If it were me, I would have him do a y67 and a FamilyFinder at FTDNA. The y67 
is the DNA test you use to track a specific surname line. The FamilyFinder is 
what you use for "cousin matching." I would also upload his FamilyFinder 
results to GEDmatch (free). 

The yDNA results can be entered into Legacy but it is pretty much a view only.  
Any work you want to do with that DNA will be done on the FTDNA website and on 

The way I track DNA matches in Legacy is by using Hashtags.


Michele Simmons Lewis, CG

Legacy Family Tree

mich...@legacyfamilytree.com <mailto:mich...@legacyfamilytree.com>  

www.legacyfamilytree.com <http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/>   


Certified Genealogist is a registered trademark and the designation CG is a 
service mark of the Board for Certification of Genealogists®, used under 
license by Board certificants who meet competency standards.


From: LegacyUserGroup [mailto:legacyusergroup-boun...@legacyusers.com] On 
Behalf Of JoAnne Flynn
Sent: Wednesday, August 9, 2017 9:17 AM
To: Legacy User Group <legacyusergroup@legacyusers.com>
Subject: [LegacyUG] Question about DNA Tests


I had my DNA test done with Ancestry about a year ago.

In the meantime, my father and mother passed away.

The oldest member left in my fathers "McElroy" line is daddy's brother - my 
Uncle.  He is 83 years old.

I am thinking I should get him to do a DNA test.  My question is:  WHICH type 
of DNA test should he get?

I am not that knowledgeable on the different types of DNA testing - but I do 
recall that one test is more beneficial for tracking the male line of a family.

What test do you recommend??



Josie Flynn, RN, BSN, OCN




LegacyUserGroup mailing list
To manage your subscription and unsubscribe 
Archives at:

Reply via email to