Cathy, am I mistaken or is she using "save as" instead of "backup"?
Whenever I close a session after adding new information, I click on the
"Exit Legacy" button and it always asks me if I want to back up my data.
The default is my C drive and I do save it there.  However, I reopen
Legacy, insert my external hard drive, click on the "backup" button, change
the drive to which I want to save my data, then follow the instruction that
I get on screen.  I have never had a problem with saving my information.

Roberta