The tool in Legacy for unique identifier is the User ID, not the RIN. The RIN is used by the machine (software) as an identifier and is rewritten at times, whereas the User ID is your own identifier and is fixed.

There are tools to help create the User IDs - see Help:
There is a tool on the *Options > Customize > Other *tab where you can automatically fill the *User ID* fields for all individuals with the RIN numbers and optional text.  (See Customize - Otherfor more information.)

Cheers, Brett

B McL Robinson
(+64) 0277 500 714
PO Box 1252, Hamilton 3240, New Zealand