On 14 December 2010 09:28, Jukka Rahkonen <jukka.rahko...@latuviitta.fi> wrote:

> I do not really believe that the turnout percentage in any OSM poll would
> reach
> 66.7 percent, even if we count just the active contributors.  It is nowadays a
> good percentage even in the election of the parliament. In year 2007 in
> Finland
> the turnout seemed to be 67.9%. And because all active contributors for sure
> would not vote for "Yes" it would mean in practice that OSM license could
> never
> be changed. Myself I have been thinking that the 2/3 majority means the share
> of
> those who vote. Obviously it would be better to write it clearly into the CTs
> how we want it to be interpreted and not to ask it afterwards from any English
> court.

Well, 2/3 of those who vote and 2/3 of all active contributors are
very different in terms of how much support a change needs to get. If
a change is really popular then it should be possible to engage 2/3 of
those who are actively contributing enough to get them to vote in
favour. Parliamentary votes aren't really comparable.

Anyway, this is a governance issue rather than a legal one. As drafted
the CT's will require 2/3 of all active contributors, not merely those
who vote. If there's a desire for a different effect, then some change
in drafting would be needed. If not, then it is probably worth nailing
the point as I have indicated.

--
Francis Davey