Hi,

On 02/02/11 19:47, Jonathan Harley wrote:
I think we may have differing interpretations of the intent of the
license. Mine is that the license is supposed to allow people to use the
map in a variety of ways, online and in print, so long as any new data
is open and OSM is attributed; not that it was intended to prevent
people from creating works in which not all elements are free.

Let us not confuse CC-BY-SA (about which I'm talking here) with the new license, ODbL.

CC-BY-SA does *not* make a distinction between "data" and other content, indeed it is not even primarily meant to govern data. This is different for ODbL, and ODbL will actually allow you to make just the kind of work I am talking about here, but ODbL is the planned future license and I am talking about the current license.

The *only* way to create a work in which one part is CC-BY-SA and the other is not free is if that work is a collective work.

In my opinion, something were images from CC-BY-SA and non-CC-BY-SA licensed sources are intermixed in a way that they are not easily separable is *clearly* not a collective work.