On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 11:44 AM, Richard Fairhurst <rich...@systemed.net>wrote:

> Produced Works do not have to be licensed under a share-alike licence.
> Attribution is required, as per the above clause. My view is that this
> implies a downstream attribution requirement too ("reasonably calculated to
> make any Person... exposed to the Produced Work") - besides, in practice,
> why wouldn't you want to? - but I think Robert disagrees with me on this.

OK, how about this scenario:

   1. I download the OSM extract from Geofabrik, Cloudmade or some XAPI
   server.
   2. I generate a PDF map from that extract using an unpublished,
   closed-source software. The map includes the appropriate OSM attribution
   text..
   3. I publish the PDF map on sites like http://www.istockphoto.com claiming
   full copyright and sell it as royalty-free vector graphics.

Questions:

   1. Is this possible?
   2. What are my obligations in terms of ODbL license? What (if anything)
   do I have to provide, publish etc.?
   3. Would there be a difference if it was PNG/SVG instead of PDF?
   4. Can the buyer of such a map then password-protect his own resulting
   work (which includes that map)?

Thanks,
Igor