Hi,

Thanks for your clarifications, everybody. I was under the (looks like
wrong) impression the produced work must also be available under the ODbL
license.
One issue still bugs me though:

If the closed software you have used did not work on the data directly, but
> on some sort of pre-processed or augmented data, then *that* would be the
> data you have to hand over.

What does "pre-processed or augmented" data really mean? OSM data has to be
preprocessed to get to the form suitable for rendering. Some examples of
preprocessing:

   1. Importing it into PostGIS and flattening the geometries (like Mapnik
   does it).
   2. Generalizations: simplifications of roads, polygons etc. for a
   certain map scale.
   3. Finding suitable label placements.
   4. Extracting topology from the data (like multipolygon processing,
   merging of polygons, road segments etc.).
   5. Running other complex algorithms on the OSM data.

This preprocessing can be done "on-the" fly or (in case of Mapnik) as a
separate prerequisite step.

Igor