On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 11:02 PM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:

> Again and again we hear, make it easier for people to geocode their
> proprietary databases and OSM can only benefit from it because everyone
> who saves $$ using OSM somehow magically "helps" OSM. I'm not convinced
> of that.

One could say the same about the permissive parts of OpenStreetMap today.
But there are companies today who're using OpenStreetMap and who are
playing an active role to improve the database directly or indirectly
(think software, event sponsoring). Interestingly, I have yet to see a
company that supports OpenStreetMap as a need of following the letter of
the ODbL. There aren't exactly tons of announcements of new ODbL datasets.

In addition, even if companies, non profit organizations or governments
decide to use but not actively support OpenStreetMap at all, they typically
bring OpenStreetMap to broad audiences at a time, and expose OpenStreetMap
to more potential individual contributors.

What I'm seeing is an attractive OpenStreetMap to participate in, with
great reasons to contribute and a growing group of institutional data users
with huge opportunities to do so - and already doing so. But right now
we're stuck insisting in one very particular way to contribute - and that
way isn't defined all too well and it impedes the use of OpenStreetMap for
a key use case: geocoding.