On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 9:28 AM,  <junkyardspar...@yepmail.net> wrote:
> I've made two attempts at creating a vignetting correction profile for a wide
> lens (Olympus 12/2) and both times ended up with overcorrection when testing
> on real-world images. I didn't have this issue when calibrating the 25/1.8,
> and wonder:

> is the use of a flat diffuser over the lens face an inherently flawed method
> with lenses that cave substantial curvature to the front element?
I *think* so.

> It occurs to me that the distance between element and diffuser is probably
> twice as much at the edges as at the center. On an opaque object this would
> obviously result in signifcantly reduced light at the edges, but I don't
> understand optics well enough to know if this is relevant to the image
> projected on the sensor through a bunch of glass...

> If this is indeed the problem, is there a suggested workaround? I was
> thinking of taking the shots of the inside of a softbox or something similar,
> to increase the distance between diffuser and lens.
I would try to shoot panorama with significant overlap (50%?), and
then use hugin to assemble it.
This does result in vignetting correction. Unless hugin changed their
vignetting correction algo from lensfun's, the result can be directly
re-used in lensfun.
At least that is what bronger suggested for calibrating some
wide-angle prime with curved front element.

> Thanks,
>
> jys
Roman.