Am 09.12.2016 um 07:33 schrieb Torsten Bronger:
> Hallöchen!
>
> junkyardspar...@yepmail.net writes:
>
>> [...] It occurs to me that the distance between element and
>> diffuser is probably twice as much at the edges as at the
>> center. On an opaque object this would obviously result in
>> signifcantly reduced light at the edges, but I don't understand
>> optics well enough to know if this is relevant to the image
>> projected on the sensor through a bunch of glass...
> Theoretically, this is not a problem.  If you have a large wall
> which emits light uniformly in all directions
> (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambertian_reflectance), the
> *distance* doesn't matter.  But in practice, I believe that it is
> very tricky to do this right, and even more so to validate it.
> Especially stray light is difficult to manage.

Yes, but if we put a diffuser close to the lens, does not that build a
different model than what the lens sees in reality and change another
quantity as well?

Assume I have an ultra-wide angle lens, such as 16 mm onto a 24x36 mm²
sensor. This covers 107° across its diagonal. So in real photography,
this means the light in the corners if the senor arrives from 53.5° from
the lens axis.

The close-to-the lens diffuser changes that and destroys this spatial
property, and the light in the corners of the sensor arrives "from
everywhere". I wonder what that does to the natural cos^4 illumination
roll-off, it appears we're skewing that a bit, too.