There's now an "Edit settings" menu under the main Settings menu.

It's not going to make everyone (anyone?) happy, you still have to edit
the content of a Leo headline to change font size etc.  The new
functionality is that it finds the appropriate setting and copies it to
the appropriate outline for you, so knowing what to look for and how to
manage it is handled.

Sometimes you'll see this:

    The relevant setting, '@bookmarks_base_color', is using the value of
    a more general setting, '@text-foreground'.  Would you like to edit
    the more specific setting, '@bookmarks_base_color', or the more
    general setting, '@text-foreground'?  The more general setting may
    alter appearance / behavior in more places, which may or may not be
    what you prefer.

                            Edit specific   Edit general   Cancel

Wordy, but I think easy enough to follow.  I guess everything after the
last comma could be deleted :-)

If the setting is in leoSettings.leo, you see:

    The setting '@body-font-family' is in the Leo global configuration
    file 'leoSettings.leo' and should probably be copied to
    'myLeoSettings.leo' before editing.
    It may make more sense to copy a group or category of settings.

    Please enter 1, 2, 3, or 4:
    1. copy the one setting, '@body-font-family'
    2. copy the setting group, 'Body font' (Recommended)
    3. copy the setting whole category, 'Fonts'
    4. edit the setting in 'leoSettings.leo' anyway

Again, wordy, but I think easy enough to understand.

(Having to enter a number to pick an option is clunky, a
 gui-independent 'pick item from list widget' can be added to Leo, I
 just didn't want to mix that task into the current task.)

Note "Reload settings" isn't working as effectively as I think it
should, that may need to be addressed as well.  Unrelated to the new
code.

So, this isn't a silver bullet for the newbie setting editing woes, but
it does eliminate a lot of the Leo specific knowledge required (apart
from "edit a headline").  Also this new approach can be developed
further based on feedback, just wanted to get what I had so far into
the main branch for testing etc.