I'm very late to the appearance party.

The edit settings menu is great, it exposes the workings
in a way that simplifies while educating. By following the
links and reading the text I quickly learn how Leo does it.

I loaded the Colors node into myLeoSettings.leo and changed
the value of
@color body-bg = white
@color body-bg = yellow

I saved, revert to saved, no change, closed and re-opened, no change,
it seems colors are being configured elsewhere ...

I did
<alt-x> print-settings
[M] bodybg = yellow

odd, in the settings pane, among the expected listings are a bunch like
<t tx="tbrown.201508217150.66">status-border-style</t>