I looked into this further and, at this time, Edward is right, you can't
easily mix Python with the JavaScript-based Visual Code.  Paring things
down and translating into JavaScript is way too ambitious.  There are a few
projects that are taking aim at allowing browser based technology to be
coupled to Python, (and other languages), but such stuff is down the line.

As others have mentioned elsewhere, I think the thing to do is give Leo the
ability to use neovim as an editor alternative.  I'll talk more about that
in another post.