> To get a feel for something completely different, I recommend looking at
> the org-mode docs
> <https://github.com/eschulte/org-mode-jss/blob/master/jss705.org>.  Here
> is an extended quotes from that page:
>
> QQQQQ
> Org-mode provides facilities to create and modify metadata quickly and
> efficiently. It also provides facilities to search, sort, and filter
> headlines, to display a chronological summary of all headlines with date
> and time metadata, to display tabular views of properties at selected
> headlines, to clock in and out of headlines defined as tasks, and more.
>
> The outline structure of documents defines a hierarchy of metadata. Tags
> and properties of a node are inherited by its sub-nodes, and views of the
> document can be designed that sum or average the properties inherited by a
> node. Code blocks live in this hierarchy of content and metadata, all of
> which is accessible to and can be modified by the code blocks.
> QQQQQ
>

> Not light reading, but effective. When I read them, I realize that Leo's
> docs could be better, perhaps much better. Imo, they should be pitched at
> exactly the same audience.
>
> Thank you for providing this link to the excellent introduction to
Org-mode! You are right: Taken out of context your quote is 'not light
reading'. But to be fair, just one paragraph before that quote, all the
seemingly missing information - especially the explanation of metadat - is
given:

One of the primary design goals of Org-mode was to define a system that
> combines efficient note-taking and brainstorming with a task management and
> project planning system. A single Org-mode document can hold the notes
> together with all the data necessary to keep track of tasks and projects
> associated with the notes. This is accomplished by assigning metadata to
> outline nodes using a special syntax. Metadata for a node can include a
> task state, like TODO or DONE, a priority, and one or more tags, dates,
> and arbitrary key-value pairs called properties. In the following example
> the top-level node is a task with state TODO, a priority of A, and tagged
> for urgent attention at work. The task has been scheduled for 18 August
> 2010 and a property indicates that it was delegated to Peter.
>

> * TODO [#A] Some task         :@work:urgent:
> ,  SCHEDULED: <2010-08-18 Wed>
> ,  :PROPERTIES:
> ,    :delegated_to: Peter
> ,  :END:

The whole document looks so promising that I will give Org-mode a serious
try.

Regards,

Reinhard