Hi Xavier,

> ... it takes me to what could be a naive question from my part but, is it
> really impossible to simplify the init code without requiring the switch to
> sqlite-based settings? It seems strange to me that the access to those
> settings cannot be made *independent of the underlying source* by the use
> of an intermediate abstraction layer or proxy or whatever you call it... I
> mean that it should be possible to have also a real-time settings edition
> experience by editing Leo outlines, shouldn't it?

I don't know any other way. Perhaps there is another and maybe even better
way, but I can't imagine it. At present Leo uses same code to read user
document and to read settings files. One of the settings that is very
important is enabled_plugins. It can be defined in leoSettings.leo, in
myLeoSettings.leo, in <macinename>LeoSettings.leo, inside working folder in
leoSettings.leo or even in user document. Leo can't be fully initialized
without initializing plugins and it can't figure out what plugins to load
until it has processed all possible settings documents. Leo needs all of
its power to analyze outlines with settings, but all that power should be
initialized first, and to fully initialize it, it needs settings data, so
there we are at the beginning of a loop. It is amazing to see how it is all
done, but to understand and be confident that you understand well what is
going on is very hard. That is why I believe if Leo had access to settings
data using some other method not its tree traversing and parsing abilities
then init code could be much simpler.

I hope this makes sense.

Vitalije